Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I Will Live to See the Day!



I love my French home, and this blog was created to praise it. But after 16 years of living in France, I figure I have the right to a few issues. And one is getting particularly under -- or on -- my skin. It's a good thing the French government is finally gearing up for a true ban on smoking in public places, because I'm not sure how much more I can take.

Already I avoid the staff room at my job because I hate to go into class smelling like Gitanes . This problem should be cleared up soon because the decree banning smoking in offices, stores, schools and hospitals will take effect in February 2007.

I also must admit I go out less than before because smoke in restaurants and cafés annoys me more than in my insouciant youth. I'll have to wait a little on that front -- cafés, bars and restaurants have been granted until January 2008 to comply with the smoking ban. But at least there is hope on the horizon...I know I will live to see the day when I can enjoy a meal out in France without worrying about smoke puffing over from the next table.

(Photo extract from the Macon Daily, "France to Impose Smoking Ban")

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll believe it when I see it! French people have managed to ignore the loi Evin for 14 years...

(But I'm with you. One thing I appreciate here in Kentucky is the smoke-free cafes and restaurants.)

Just me said...

I quit smoking over 6 years ago, and it was the best thing I ever did. But even as a smoker, I respected non-smokers and smoked outside as much as possible.

Smoking restrictions are very lax in France. I can't stand people smoking in stores, malls etc. Now that I am pregnant, it bothers me even more.

I really hope that this ban goes into effect, but more importantly I hope the government actually enforces it.

JP (mom) said...

Tres bien! That was my only objection when visiting France (and was very hard for my husband who was quitting smoking).

angela said...

Totally agree but unless I'm mistaken the fines for lighting up are derisory.

christine said...

Let's not hold our breath!

Pardon My French said...

I'm with you. I think smoking in a restaurant is especially disgusting and can't believe that anyone would be so insensitive as to light up right next to someone who's trying to eat. But it happens all the time!

Anonymous said...

I was living in italy when the smoking ban started there and at first the smokers were really against it. However now I think even the smokers are happy about it, at least my smoking friends are. So I hope it'll go as smoothly here in france too. Nothing's better than to come home after a night out not having to take a shower only to get rid of the sigarette smell!

Wilf James said...

A tough one for me too as an ex-smoker, I hate the fact that people next to me in a restaurant can blow smoke in my face, or in a café etc. I even hate walking behind someone who his puffing away at a cigarette.

But ex-smokers are known for their total intolerance and my wife who has never smoked reminds of all the years I smoked in restaurants, café’s in the street and I do respect the right of other people to smoke – of course I do!

However restaurants especially will be a far better experience when you do not have to wonder if the dinners next to you are going to light up ensemble and turn your meal from a pleasure into trying to dodge the fumes as they waft towards you.