Wednesday, October 17, 2007

It is indeed a special place

If you read my blog, you know I think that Aveyron is just about the greatest place in France.But don't just take my word for it....

This week the writer of A Juicy Life shared her experience of cycling through part of Averyron:

"The landscape was so different from where we were and we instantly fell in love. It took us about 2 hours to get there and once we did we knew we definitely stepped up in terms of beauty, the landscape is like a dream....

Our original itinerary was to spend 1 week here and then head back to Spain and spend 1 week in Girona. Well, after 3 days here we have decided to extend our trip here and not spend 1 week in Girona. We have found the area we love...we don't want to leave...

We made some great friends on this trip and the Aveyron and around could be the best place we've yet been."


My parents feel the same way. They have visited quite a bit of France: Paris, the Loire Valley, Provence, Normandy, Dordogne, Alsace...but when asked what their favorite place in France is, their answer is always the same. And it starts with an "A."

(Photo courtesy of Thierry Jouanneteau)

9 comments:

Tinsie said...

That photo is beautiful! I really must visit one of these days. Maybe soon.

Anonymous said...

You make me want to come and visit now!

savvycityfarmer said...

I would certainly agree hands down this would be my first choice...the country....love our little visits...hope you've noticed that you've been on my favorites for a long while!!!!!

Betty Carlson said...

Tinsie -- If you do, please look me up! We could "do lunch." Unfortunately, though, RyanAir will not be flying into Rodez from during the winter months.

Bea -- I would LOVE to see what your photographic genius could do with Aveyron.

CityFarmer -- You're on my sidebar too, but I think maybe just on And So Forth. I'll have to check out if you're on FP.

Cheryl said...

Hi Betty! Thanks for commenting on my blog!

I have to say those are gorgeous pictures, I don't think I would ever want to leave. As much as I enjoy a good cityscape (and I do) there is nothing like the natural views you seem to be enjoying.

Betty Carlson said...

Cheryl - I could have been a city girl, woman, whatever, no problem. At one point we considered moving to Paris...so many what ifs!

I guess what I really love about Aveyron is that it has a country feel, but is actually quite dynamic in the social, economic and cultural department.

Tinsie said...

No worries. I wouldn't want to fly Ryanair anyway, they're such shambles. I'd much rather travel by train, as it means I can stop off in Paris on the way ;-)

Does the TGV serve Rodez?

Betty Carlson said...

LOLH (laughing out loud hysterically...)

The TGV does not even come close to Rodez! However, there are fairly direct "Corail" trains from Paris to Rodez, including a night train which is a pretty good deal.

I beg to differ about RyanAir -- I have had great experiences with it (two trips to London and back, I know that's not hugely representative but still) and love it dearly because it was such a kick to fly directly from our little airport to the big British city!

Tinsie said...

Oh well. Corail it is then ;-)