Sunday, March 21, 2010

On the road

Although I travel some for my job, it's usually by plane. And my daily life here in Aveyron doesn't leave me much time for hitting the open road.

Driving alone, heading somewhere in France without totally understanding how to get there, listening to MY choice of music at the volume I have chosen...these are rare and wonderful moments for me.

Usually, I have to make them happen. Last week I did. On Tuesday, I had to drive to Toulouse for a meeting that was going to end in the early afternoon. Rather than driving straight back to Rodez, I was able to work out my schedule to make a detour to see a good friend in Canal du Midi territory.

Driving along the freeway past Castelnaudary and Carcassonne in T-shirt weather, I was taken aback to see significant remnants of snow drifts on the side of the road. I knew that it had snowed a week earlier, but here in chilly Aveyron, our snow was long gone.

Even if it was a little crazy to take this detour for one afternoon and one night -- I was back at work the next morning (OK, late morning) -- the dose of sun and good cheer was just what I needed.

4 comments:

spacedlaw said...

Sounds like very well spent time!

Jennifer said...

I am SO glad that you came for even a short visit. Loved our walk, showing you the chapelle and our relaxed evening together.
When are you coming back?

word verification: later It's a sign!

Leon Sims said...

When I saw the sign with Olenzac, I just had to make a comment. Our 1st trip to France in 2006 we stayed at St Chinian for a week and during that time we enjoyed lunch in Olenzac before wandering off the Minerve. We went back to the Languedoc since. The area has much to offer. At this moment we are in Tour before visiting Friends in the Loire. Although we love home in Melbourne, Australia we understand the urge to live here in France.
I read your blog regularly and have you on mine, but not commented before.
Leon

http://melbourneourhome.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Just the kind of short holiday I treasure, Betty. I am deeply envious. I love the canal photo and the tree shadows on the building with the blue shutters. Short trips like that always fill me with a sense of peace.