Monday, May 24, 2010

My Back Pages 1


For Music Monday, for NaBloPoMo, for Bob Dylan's birthday -- and because I need something to write about today -- I have decided to go back over some of my music-oriented post for my now-defunct blog And So Forth.

It was a heady bloggy time, when I was writing three blogs and posting about subjects as diverse as politics, music, the media, Aveyron, wine and cooking.

It was November 18, 2007, and I wrote this tribute to one of my favorite Bob Dylan albums:

"I have been trying all day to listen straight through Blood on the Tracks without too many interruptions. It's 7:30 PM and I'm practically halfway into "Shelter from the Storm," so I think I'm finally going to make it.

If not, I think I can do without 'Buckets of Rain.' It's one of the two songs on the album that doesn't do it for me, along with 'Meet Me in the Morning.'

Those two songs aside, though, I don't think I will ever tire of this album. Sometimes I think it's Bob Dylan's best. And I have to disagree with Jon Landau when he wrote in 1975:

'Blood on the Tracks will only sound like a great album for a while. Like most of Dylan, it is impermanent.'

So why does it ring so true 32 years later?"

3 comments:

Betty said...

Going to have to start listening to his Bobness, as I'm seeing him live in July. Husband's a big fan & is already getting excited!

Leon Sims said...

Mr Zimmerman has been to OZ a few times now. Never got the chance to see hime but have the albums/CDs up to the late 70s, then some but lost interest, however there is the occasion it "brings it all back home" ans I remember his best songs.
Leon

Leon Sims said...

Bob these days seemed to have lost it a bit but what great memories are revived when I listen to all my CDs from the 60s and 70s.
Leon