Sunday, June 06, 2010

Rodez really is a happening place!

Rodez was buzzing last week with plans, gossip and Facebook discussions about the "Apéro Géant des Aveyronnais" that was held Thursday evening in the town center's Jardin du Foirail.

I won't attempt to report on the whole story with its political ins and outs, nor will I tell about the event because I decided not to go!

This was all for a good cause: I wanted to have plenty of energy to attend some of the forty-odd events organized on Friday and Saturday by the Conservatoire de musique for the 24 Heures Chopin.

My daughters went to the Apéro Géant, though, and thought it was just peachy. And I ended up attending about 7 of the "24 hours of Chopin," and was impressed by the turn-out and the organization involved.

Both events were huge successes, despite Midi Libre's attempt to turn a DWI arrest that took place hours after the Apéro (which finished at midnight) into some sort of news.

I like the fact that both happenings drew a wide range of age groups. Sure, the Chopin concerts weren't overrun with teenagers, but I would say there were at least some young people at all of the venues I went to.

To conclude, I really hate it when people say "nothing goes on in Rodez." Sure, if you want to go to jazz clubs every weekend or a new modern art exhibit every month, Rodez may not provide what you are looking for. But I sure can't keep up with everything that happens in our little capital city.

6 comments:

The Pliers said...

I thought of you when I heard about the giant cocktail hour in 'lAveyron! I'm glad your daughters got to attend and can understand your having chosen Chopin over pastis.

I too find that there are more than enough small scale social activities going on in the center of France to keep one busy. I've noticed that the best way to find out about them is to read the flyers distributed on the windshields of the cars on market day and to read the local newspaper. There's always notice of something––music, frequently.

Glad to hear that you had a great time!

Chopin Project said...

Thank you so much for sharing information about the Chopin 24 events in Rodez. I and visitors to our Chopin Project website (www.chopinproject.com) and Facebook page (facebook.com/chopinproject) will surely like to know more. Hope you'll elaborate.

Best, Frederick Slutsky
(A new fan of your writing and your blog)

baresytapas said...

I entered this site by chance, but I found very interesting. A greeting to all the people who visit this page.

Emm said...

Agreed with The Pliers--but not just for France. If you look for them, you can find interesting events in lots of small and medium cities & large towns, on assorted continents. Just because an event occurs in a capital city does not make it good.

And congrats on the Chopin events.

City-name question: Is it pronounced Ro-dez or Ro-day? I've been thinking of it as Rodez, but maybe I shouldn't.

tut-tut said...

There is so much going on in most small cities. People will always compare them to whatever is the largest closest one. Unfair!

Betty Carlson said...

Emm -- You are correct, it is pronounced Ro-dez. If it were a verb, and there is a verb rôder (not sure of the accent,) in the vous form it would be pronounced Ro-day -- so you are right to wonder!

It seems a number of place names have their final "s" or "z" pronounced, which would not be the case with a "normal" word.